In this section
Donating toys or other items
Donated toys and items provide comfort to children and teens, normalize the hospital environment, and help to ease fear and anxiety. By donating a new item from our wish list, a child/teen’s hospital experience can be less scary and more enjoyable. Treatment milestones, such as end of treatment, and birthdays spent in the hospital are made special with child- and teen-friendly surprises. We appreciate your generosity and helping to make children and teens calm and even smile!
For questions about donating toys, email us or call our toy donation hotline in Milwaukee at (414) 266-2787 or in Neenah at (920) 967-9129.
To support the health and well-being of our patients, please review the following guidelines:
- All donated items must be new (store-bought and in original packaging) and may not contain Latex
- Infection control guidelines do not permit us to accept the following: gently used items, items that have been stored for an extended period of time, and food
- Donations with religious or violent themes are not accepted
- To respect the privacy of our patients and families, we are unable to allow donors to personally deliver gifts to patients
Organizing a toy drive
To organize your own donation drive, please:
- Download and read the Use of Children's Hospital Name and Logo Guidelines (PDF)
- Fill out this online form. This information will allow Children’s staff to review your proposed donation drive and approve your plan in advance.
Our wish list
Art and craft supplies
- Small Velvet Art posters
- Water color paint
- Bead kits for all skill levels
- Colored pencils
- Model Magic
- Glue sticks
- Wrist rattles
- Vibrating crib soothers
- Infant bouncers
Toddlers and preschoolers
- Dolls representing all ethnic backgrounds
- Board games
- Light-up musical toys
- Stuffed animals (no larger than 12”)
School-aged and teens
- Lego kits
- Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars
- Puzzles (less than 250 pieces)
- Action hero figures
- Small, over-the-door basketball hoops
- Any MKE sports related items
- Adult coloring books
- Winter Hats *small quantity/no infant*
Items we cannot accept
The following are items that we are unfortunately unable to accept. If you are looking to donate something that is on this list, you might try some of the other organizations in this guide that accept donations.
- Beanie babies
- McDonald’s Happy Meal toys
- Vending machine toys
- Dollar Store items (exceptions: coloring books, word searches/crosswords/sudoku, small puzzles, card games)
- Outdoor activities
- Crocheted/knit blankets
- Completed greeting cards
- Trading cards/sports cards
- Comic books
- Infant Hats
- Scented toiletries
Shop our Amazon wish list
- Our Amazon wish list supports our Child Life Specialists and Expressive Therapists.
- Our Child Life Specialists are experts in helping our patients cope with stressors related to healthcare encounters. By distracting and helping children and teens to relax via play and other developmentally-appropriate methods, Child Life Specialists aid in shifting children and teen’s focus from unpleasant medical experiences.
- Our Expressive Therapists support the cognitive, emotional, social, mental health, and physical well-being of patients and families. Our team consists of Art Therapy, Dance/Movement Therapy, Massage Therapy, Music Therapy, and Recreational Therapy.
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin keeps an Amazon wish list of items our Child Life and Expressive Therapies team deems appropriate in using with patients for distraction or therapeutic purposes. Purchased items will be shipped directly to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
Make a cash gift
Toy donation hotline
If you have questions about donating toys, email us or call our toy donation hotline in Milwaukee at (414) 266-2787 or in Neenah at (920) 967-9129.