Mar 26, 2020
How to make a mask
As so much around us is changing by the day, we are comforted knowing that people’s desire to help Children’s Wisconsin hasn’t wavered. We have received many requests from people throughout the community looking to both donate and make personal protective equipment (PPE).
Our PPE supply situation changes frequently and normal supply continues to be disrupted. Thank you for helping us provide PPE to our health care workers and families.
- (2) 7 ½” x 7 ½” 100% cotton squares (pillow case or 100% cotton quilting material with high thread count)
- If you do not have 100% cotton squares, you may also use a cotton tea/dish towel with a high thread count or a cotton or poly cotton t-shirt material
- (2) Elastic hair ties, make 1 cut in each to make (2) 6-7” lengths of covered elastic OR very thin 1/8” to ¼” elastic also works
- 5 ½” length of florist wire. Other wire options include:
- Plastic twist ties
- Beading wire
- Pipe cleaners
Please note: The hospital will insert filters after masks are provided.
- Do not make masks for donation if there is anyone in your home who:
- Has tested positive for COVID-19
- Has any symptoms of any respiratory illness
- Please prewash fabric, wash your hands and work in a clean environment.
- Work with the supplies you have at home.
- If you do not have elastic options, you can drop off the masks without elastic and the hospital will add elastic and the filters for the pocket.
- The hospital is in need of large, thin, metal-free elastic hair ties that are 6” long (pony tail rubber bands with covering).
- Please do not try the masks on.
Homemade masks and other PPE items can be dropped off at our Children’s Corporate Center lobby (999 N. 92nd St.) from 9 a.m.-noon and from 1-3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Items can also be shipped to:
Children's Wisconsin Volunteer Services
999 N. 92nd St.,
Wauwatosa, WI 53226