Jun 28, 2019
Summer is a perfect time to work on healthy family habits — together
Summer is here, and it’s a great time to be active with your family. As a parent and a pediatrician, I also know that, despite our best-laid plans, schedules and healthy habits can sometimes get away from us in summer.
That’s why Mission: Healthy Kids, a partnership of Kohl’s Cares® and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, is offering a fun and free opportunity for all Wisconsin families through the Summer Healthy Family Challenge. The challenge takes place from July 1-August 16, 2019.
The Challenge focuses on nutrition, physical activity and healthy minds and offers families a variety of ways to improve or kickstart some healthy habits. For example:
- Eating more meals at home (which can be hard to do in the summer)
- Trying new fruits and vegetables from a local farmers market
- Having kids help with healthy meal planning and shopping
- Planning ahead and taking healthy snacks with you
- Taking a family walk
- Exploring a new park or playground together
- Tracking who takes the most steps in one day
- Going screen free for an entire day
- Getting 8 hours or more of sleep at night
- Enjoying family reading time
These are just some of the many ways families can improve their health this summer — together.
How does the Challenge work?
- Beginning Monday, July 1, families can go to missionhealthykids.org and click on the Summer Healthy Family Challenge banner to register.
- Start the Challenge by downloading the Family Wellness Bingo card that offers a number of activities families can do together.
- To complete the Challenge, families will go back online to complete a short Challenge Questionnaire, upload their completed Family Wellness Bingo Sheet and a few photos by August 16, 2019.
- Families completing the Challenge by August 16 will be entered into a drawing to win one of five family prize packages that include: Fitbit fitness trackers, a One Potato meal service certificate and a Wisconsin State Parks pass.
The Summer Healthy Family Challenge is just one part of the Mission: Healthy Kids partnership between Kohl’s Cares® and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, offering resources for parents, students and educators to help kids eat right and stay active.
I encourage families to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity that promotes healthy habits and families spending time together this summer.