In this section
School nurses provide care and health education
Children in many Milwaukee neighborhoods have difficulty getting the health care services they need. Through our School Nurse Program, we bring these services directly to children.
Our registered nurses work with children in a number of Milwaukee Public Schools. They provide care to students including screening for vision and hearing. For chronic illnesses – such as asthma, diabetes, seizures or sickle cell anemia – they monitor students' lifestyles and educate them on ways they can better manage their illnesses. They help coordinate care with physicians, social workers and school and community resources.
In addition, our school nurses educate children and families about the importance of preventive care and a variety of other health topics, including:
- Anger management
- Drugs and alcohol
- Human growth and development
Our nurses are located in these Milwaukee schools:
- Auer Avenue School, 2319 W. Auer Ave.
- Bethune Elementary, 1535 N. 35th St.
- Business and Economics Academy of Milwaukee, 3620 N. 18th St.
- Clarke Street School, 2816 W. Clarke St.
- Franklin School, 2308 W. Nash St.
- Hopkins-Llyod Community School, 1503 W. Hopkins St.
- Jackson School, 2121 W. Hadley St.
- Keefe Avenue School, 1618 W. Keefe Ave.
- LaFollette School, 3239 N. 9th St.
- Starms Discovery School, 2035 N. 25th St.
- Starms Early Childhood, 2616 W. Garfield Ave.
Primary care clinics
COA Goldin Center, 2320 W. Burleigh St., Milwaukee – (414) 266-1660
Midtown Clinic, 5433 W. Fond du Lac Ave., Milwaukee – (414) 277-8900
Next Door Pediatrics, 2561 N. 29th St., Milwaukee – (414) 264-5338
Northside YMCA, 1350 W. North Ave., Milwaukee - (414) 266-1660
Next Door Dental Center, 2561 N. 29th St., Milwaukee - (414) 372-4007
Midtown Dental Clinic, 5433 W. Fond du Lac Ave., Milwaukee – (414) 607-5280
Milwaukee Adolescent Health Program
Midtown Clinic – (414) 277-8900
Lady Pitts/Custer High School Health Center – (414) 393-4919
Opportunities Unlimited – (414) 277-8900
Milwaukee County Juvenile Detention Center – (414) 257-6561
Cardinal Clinic, South Division High School – (414) 902-8338
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counseling – (414) 277-8916