In this section
Participate in a clinical trial
Having your child participate in a clinical trial means he or she will have access to treatments not available to the public. This puts your child on the cutting edge of pediatric cancer research. In fact, the development of successful therapies used to treat children with cancer today came from knowledge learned through past clinical trials.
Your child may be asked to participate in a clinical trial for the treatment of his or her type of cancer. Criteria for participation are based on several factors, including:
- What type or stage of cancer
- Whether your child has received a certain therapy in the past
- What age group he or she is in
The results and information – side effects, blood work, and response to treatment – will be compared to that of other children in the same study. This information is kept confidential. Enrollment in any clinical trial is voluntary and can be stopped anytime.
Taking part in a clinical trial does not prevent your child from getting any other medical care he or she may need. Your child's physician will explain to you which, if any, other clinical trials are being conducted for your child's cancer. Your doctor will also explain risks, benefits, side effects, tests, and any costs that may be associated with the study.
Before making the decision to enroll your child in a clinical trial, here are some questions to go over with your health care team:
- How will we be able to tell if the treatment is working?
- Will my child need to stay in the hospital for treatment?
- How long will the treatment last?
- Who can help me explain the treatment to my child?
- Will my child be able to attend school during the treatment?
- Are there any activities that are off-limits?
- What are the known side effects of this treatment?
- What are other alternative options if I choose not to go on this clinical trial?
For further information on participating in clinical trials, please visit these links:
For more information about cancer and blood disorders clinical trials, email us or call